You and a friend can win a trip to Portland for the Living a Better Story Seminar. Simply write a blog entry telling us about the kind of story you want to live and how you think the seminar might help. Then submit a link to that blog entry in the comments on this page and you are officially entered. Here’s a video with some more info, then the details of the contest are spelled out below. It looks like the conference is going to sell out, so if you want to come, register as well and if you win we will pick up the cost of your registration, hotel and airfare. Otherwise you might not get in. Good luck!
You and a friend can win a trip to Portland Oregon for the Living a Better Story Seminar being held September 26th and 27th.
1. Write a blog telling us about the kind of story you want to live. It might help to read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years to better understand what this means. The story doesn’t have to be a life story, it can be what you want to do next year, or for the next few years.
2. Tell us a little about how you think the seminar might help you out. You don’t have to get detailed, just let us know specifically what you’re hoping to get from the seminar. This will help us cover all our bases as people come to Portland.
3. Provide a link on your blog to the seminar site. That site is www.storylineblog.com/conference
4. Embed this video on your blog:
(to embed the video, simply click embed, then copy and paste the html code onto your blog)
5. Submit a link to your blog in the comments on THIS blog entry. If you submit a question about the contest, we will unfortunately have to delete the question because we are trying to keep the entries clean and organized.
On August 20th, at midnight, the contest is over. Please enter before then. That next week, we will print out all the entries, read through them and the staff here will choose a winner.
WHAT YOU WILL WIN IF CHOSEN:
1. We will fly you and a friend to Portland.
2. We will put you and your friend up in a swanky hotel.
3. We will vacuum the space around your seats and make sure you have fresh mints and bottled water.
4. You will receive a gift wrapped box in the mail. You are not allowed to open this box. You have to bring the box with you to the seminar. I will call you on stage and we will talk about your story before you can open the box.
You can learn more about the seminar here!
Is the contest open to non-US residents?
Unfortunately it is not. But this isn’t because we don’t want it to be. It’s because of tax laws. It’s also not open to people who live in Rhode Island.
What if I can’t upload or embed the video?
You should be able to do this off of Vimeo. You might ask somebody who knows about the technology. But if you still can’t figure it out, follow the guidelines as best as you can and enter anyway. We are human beings with HUGE hearts!
What’s in the box that you are sending?
Unfortunately, we can’t tell you that. It’s part of the seminar. But you won’t get in trouble with the airlines for bringing it on the plane, I promise.
What if I have already registered, or register now?
We will refund your money for your plane ticket, and pick up another one for a friend. We’ll take care of the hotel, too. It’ll be as though you hadn’t registered.
LET ME GIVE YOU A TIP!!!!
If you write about how you want to be more passionate, or more intentional, or how you want to help people, the chances of you winning this contest are not as great as if you write about a specific story you want to live. What we are really looking for is something like a movie trailer of what you want to do. If you think about a movie trailer, it starts with a character and quickly shows us what he wants (usually to get out of a predicament, though your story probably won’t be about that, and then shows the conflict they are having to go through to get out of it…. So for you, just tell us what you want to do, then detail some of the conflict….If you want to start a dance school, for instance, it will require a building, some instructors, some interns, a computer system or whatever. The more specific, the better your chances of coming to Portland. Tell us what you want to do, what the conflict will be in doing it, and your plan for making it happen! Good luck!!!