Years ago I created a life plan and have rarely had a foggy day since. It happened when I discovered Viktor Frankl’s Logotherapy and began planning my life like a story. The process brings me clarity and focus every day. I’d say I’m more healthy today than I’ve ever been, and I owe it all to thinking and planning in the form of narrative.
I plan all the big stories of my life using MySubplot.com. Right now, I have five public stories, three private stories (stories about relationships and personal goals I choose to keep to myself) and a few archived stories I put in there just to remember I’m capable of accomplishing something.
For me, MySubplot is about:
• Remembering I am a subplot in God’s story and the story isn’t about me.
• Always knowing what I’m doing with my life. If you’re coasting, you’re going downhill.
• Giving my goals a narrative context so they are more compelling and I am more likely to follow through.
• Clarifying and simplifying the stories I want to live. The form at MySubplot forces me to spend five minutes planning. And in that five minutes, I can easily lift the fog on my ambitions.
• Letting people know what I’m doing with my life. If it’s not on MySubplot.com, people know I will likely not move in whatever direction they’d like to propose.
• Getting inspiration. I spend a lot of time scrolling through the public stories from other MySubplot users. I find the stories they want to live inspiring.
MySubplot.com is a simple tool, but simplicity is power. If a pastor or business owner has their staff go through Storyline and plan their life stories using MySubplot, he will suddenly know more about his or her team, and his or her team will know more about themselves.
If you’ve not started planning the stories you want to live, create an account and start today. And if you already have an account, go back and visit your stories and see how you’re doing.
P.S. MySubplot is about the big picture, so for a daily to-do list, I use Orchestra and a simple pad and paper. We are having a blast helping others plan their life stories!